Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where Do I Go to Find a Job?

Alrighty, tonight I am going to cover one of the most common requests I get in my classes: Where do I look for a job?
Many of you find yourself out of work after years of faithful service to one company. The last time some of you looked for a job the want ads in the paper were where you started. Well, times have definitely changed and employers have entered the digital age. There are hundreds of job boards online and even these listings are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to actual job openings. I can’t cover them all but here are a few of my current favorites:
Simply Hired – www.simplyhired.com
                Easy to use and great content. For those of you looking for mom friendly jobs this job aggregator has special filters for mom friendly jobs as well as senior, new grad and veteran friendly.
Indeed – www.indeed.com
                Very similar to Simply Hired but has the added feature of being able to narrow by salary.
Texas Municipal League – www.tml.org
                If you are looking for a job with a municipality this is the place for you. THE best one stop shop for job listings in all sizes of towns in Texas. Updated daily.
Craigslist – www.craigslist.org
                You may have used craigslist to get rid of that old couch but did you know that they have a great job board? Many employers are using Craigslist as the new want ads. I have heard that the response rate to applications is infinitely better than the big aggregators like Monster and CareerBuilder.
Higher Education Jobs – www.higheredjobs.com
                Want to work for a college? This is the place to go! Excellent aggregator.
I hope these online places help. Remember to contact me anytime with questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment